Saturday 23 May 2015

April Flowers

As the blackthorn blossom fades away, Milton Country Park comes into flower.


By Fen Road Entrance 13 April 2015
Some of the  most conspicuous of this new crop of flowers are the catkins on the pussy willow (Salix caprea).  This bank of willow in full flower greets the visitor entering the park from the Fen Road entrance.


Western Edge of Todd's Pit 20 April 2015
Slightly less conspicuous, though probably as common are the catkins on the white willow.  This specimen shines like a candle above the path which runs along the western edge of Todd's Pit.

In the Woods

Woods at Northern End of Park 28 April 2015


During the early part of the year, cuckoo pint plants stand out as the only substantial green plants beneath the trees.  However, by the time they come into flower, they have been overtaken by other plants, notably cow parsley and nettles.  With inconspicuous green flowers they are easily overlooked.  The ground around this particular specimen remains clear, but heavy growth of cow parsley is clearly to be seen in the background.

Woods East Side of Dickerson's Pit 24 April 2015

There is a lot of ground ivy in the country park, with substantial masses of it growing in the grassland at the northern end of the park.  There is an equally large area of ground ivy growing in the woods at the east side of Dickerson Pit in amongst the leaf litter and moss covered logs.  The image above was taken in the latter area,  which I find not only visually more interesting,  but also a habitat less common outside the park.

Cowslip Surprise

Southern End of Wetlands 17 April 2015
This  patch of cowslips growing at the southern end of the Wetlands is probably the biggest surprise I have had to date in this project.  It shows how much we all miss when walking around familiar territory.

All Change

Tomkins Mead 20 April 2015

I have always been aware that things happen very rapidly in spring - blossom comes and goes in rapid succession and plants spring up almost overnight.  However, until I started this project, I had not realised just how quickly things change; and, despite visiting the country park three or four times a week, I know I am missing things I would have liked to have photographed.  Equally, I work on the basis that all blossom is ephemeral, and must be photographed as soon as possible, otherwise it will be lost.  I took these forget-me-knots the first time I saw them one misty April morning. In the event, I need not have worried as they were still making a fine show a fortnight later.

I am learning lots about the natural world, and appreciating it all the more. 

NEXT: GOING GREEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment